Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Newberry Honor Book

I first heard about Megan Whalen Turner from Shannon Hale’s blog. They interviewed each other through email. Pretty cool. You can read it here.

After reading about Turner, I bought The Thief and began reading. However, I got sidetracked with other books, ahem, The Hunger Games, and forgot to come back to it. The other day, I found it in a pile of to-be-read as I was cleaning my room.

Here’s a snippet from the book cover:

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

The setting feels very much like ancient Greece with refernces to gods. I loved the stories Gen and the Magus tell about Earth's Creation and her relationship with the Sky. The plot unfolds slowly, but the characters and descriptions keep your attention. And then things start to get interesting and exciting! I really liked the main character, Gen. He is clever and stubborn and full of surprises. I also found the relationship between Gen and the Magus fascinating, and by the end ironic. There's dimension to these characters; nothing is as it seems.

The Thief is followed by three more books--The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia and The Conspiracy of Kings. I'm looking forward to reading them. It's nice when you don't have to wait for the sequels :)

No comments:

Post a Comment