Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring means Austen


It’s officially Spring, which means I can officially begin my Jane Austen obsession.


Every Spring I feel a strong desire to read and watch everything Austen. During my last semester of college, my professor told us that his wife read Pride and Prejudice every Spring. What a lovely idea, I thought. So the following year I read P&P for the second time. And that was the end of it. Then a couple of years ago when the new Pride and Prejudice came out I once again became obsessed with Austen’s classics. I decided to renew my springtime literary obligation to immerse myself in reading her love stories.


So far this year I’ve read Sense and Sensibility, watched both versions of Persuasion, saw the new version of Emma (which I adored) and started reading the novel.


After Emma, I’d like to read Northanger Abbey because I saw the movie and it was a little strange. Now I’m curious if the book is just as bizarre.


If you are not a Jane Austen fan and you don’t understand my obsession, then this quote is for you.


“Every time I read Pride and Prejudice I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.” ~ Mark Twain, 1898

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE Jane Austen. I have the big book that's a compilation of all her novels. I lent it to a friend and now we don't bump into each other as often and she still has my book! I had to go get another one because I was going into withdrawals! My favorite is actually Mansfield Park. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby! Hi! Thanks for commenting. I haven't read Mansfield Park yet. I think I will after Emma.

    ReplyDelete